The Student News Site of Columbia Heights High School

The Heights Herald

The Heights Herald

The Heights Herald

You’ll “loaf” this irresistible milk bread recipe!

Crust+me+when+I+say+this+milk+bread+will+have+you+levitating+just+a+bite.+
Hiedi Lee
“Crust” me when I say this milk bread will have you levitating just a “bite.”

Milk bread is not only a delicious bread recipe, but it also has a rich history that spans many cultures. Its origins can be traced back to Japan, where it became well-known for its fluffy and soft texture. Since then, the beloved baked good has been adapted and customized all over the world, with different variations like Hokkaido milk bread, which remains popular in Japan, and Hong Kong-style milk bread. In the West, milk bread has also become a staple, appreciated for its versatility in making sandwiches, toast, or sweet treats. The history of milk bread is a testament to how culinary traditions can cross borders and influence diverse baking practices. 

If you’re looking to try milk bread, a great place to start is Tous Les Jours, a Korean-French bakery that recently opened at 6601 Nicollet Ave in Richfield. Offering a wide variety of treats ranging from French cuisine to a variety of Asian desserts, including their delicious homemade milk bread, the various goods of Tous Les Jours can be enjoyed anytime you want. 

The key to making the perfect milk bread lies in using high-quality ingredients and following a precise recipe. With a few simple tips and tricks, you can make it better than any bakery!

The Taiwanese tangzhong method is a technique that involves cooking a mixture of flour, water and milk into a paste until it becomes thick enough to lift with a spoon. This paste is then added to the dough, which results in a softer, fluffier and bouncier bread. This method is a crucial step for ensuring your bread stays soft and resilient, even days after baking. The science behind the tangzhong method is that the gelatinization of starch molecules in the paste helps to trap moisture during baking, which results in a moist and fluffy bread. Don’t forget the tangzhong method when making bread — it’s a simple technique that can make a big difference in the texture and quality of your bread!

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup (40g) bread flour
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) water
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) milk

Instructions:

1. In a saucepan, whisk together 1/3 cup of bread flour and 1/2 cup of water until smooth.
  2. Pour in 1/2 cup of milk into the mixture and whisk until creamy.
  3.  Place the saucepan over low heat. Keep stirring constantly to avoid any lumps.
  4.  Continue cooking and stirring until the mixture thickens into a paste.
  5.  Once the tangzhong has thickened, remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.

Once the tangzhong is made, we can move on to the next step — making the bread!

Ingredients:

• 1 rectangular Shokupan Loaf (1.5 kin size)
  • 250g warm water 
  • 20g sugar
  • 7g instant yeast 
  • 7g kosher salt 
  • 10g honey
  • 350g bread flour (King Arthur brand is recommended)
  • 20g skim milk powder or nonfat dry milk powder (Bob’s Red Mill brand is recommended)
  • 25g unsalted butter     

Recommended additional toppings:

• Strawberry jam
  • Fruit topping (Strawberry, berries, mangos, etc)
  • Whipped cream 
  • Powder sugar  

For Greasing:

• ½ tsp oil (vegetable, rice bran, canola, etc.) 
  • 10g unsalted butter (room temperature — you also use cooking oil spray)

Instructions:

1. In a large oiled greased mixing bowl, combine 350g of bread flour, 20g of skim milk powder, 7g of yeast and 7g of kosher salt, mixing until ingredients are fully incorporated..
  2. In a medium bowl, combine 250g of water and 10g of honey. Combine all the wet ingredients until fully incorporated. 
  3. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees, while greasing up your shokupan loaf with 10g of room-temperature unsalted butter. 
  4. In another bowl slowly combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, stirring with a rubber spatula until the mixture forms into dough. 
  5. Once formed into a ball of dough, combine your 25g of room temperature butter with the dough until the butter is fully incorporated into the dough. 
  6. Flour a cutting board and place the dough onto it, kneading for 10-15 minutes.
  7. Once the dough is done, set it aside to rise for 20 minutes. 
  8. After 20 minutes, take the dough out of the bowl and place it on the greased pan.
  9. Put into the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes. 
  10. Once the bread is taken out of the oven, let it cool for 15-20 minutes. This is vital for ensuring the inside of the bread is fluffy. 
  11. After waiting for 15-20 minutes, the bread is ready to be served.
  12. Add any additional toppings, like the ones recommended above.
  13. Enjoy your homemade milk bread!

Homemade milk bread is an irresistible recipe that you must try! Its soft and fluffy texture, combined with a subtle sweetness, makes it an ideal choice for breakfast or afternoon snack. With just a few simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you can create a mouth-watering loaf of milk bread that will leave your taste buds wanting more. Whether you’re an experienced baker or new to the world of baking, this recipe is perfect for anyone! So don’t hesitate — give it a try and impress your family and friends with this delicious homemade treat!