The Student News Site of Columbia Heights High School

The Heights Herald

The Heights Herald

The Heights Herald

Pathogens fear this easy, safe-to-eat cookie dough recipe!

Karina Kaplan
After just one bite of this cookie dough, it will quickly become your not-so-guilty pleasure as it is completely safe to eat!

Inhaling the alluring fragrance of cookie dough is a pleasure, but the potential of food-borne illnesses found in raw batter holds you at a crossroads: to eat or not to eat? Take a risk or head over to Dough Dough in the Mall of America to get your fix? Forget about worrying or driving to Bloomington and make this perfectly delectable, truly edible cookie dough!

Ingredients:

• 1 stick of softened butter*
  • ½ cup of packed brown sugar
  • ¼ cup white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons of milk
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 pinch of salt*
  • 1 + ⅓ cups of heat-treated flour**
  • ¾ cup of chocolate chips

*To prevent over-salting the dough, if the stick of butter used is salted, one may wish to forgo adding salt to the dough.

**While the common information on the dangers of consuming raw eggs is true, the blatant dangers of consuming raw flour are often left out. As seen in a 2022 study performed by the Department of Food Science at Rutgers University, follow the steps below to reduce the risk of different food-borne pathogens.

Heat-treated flour instructions:

1.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2.  Spread raw flour on a baking sheet at a maximum of two centimeters deep. 
  3. Bake the sheet of flour for six minutes. 
  4. Let cool completely before utilizing it in a recipe.

Instructions:

1. Cream together sugars and butter until smooth and fluffy, either by hand or with a hand mixer.
  2. Stir in milk, vanilla extract and salt before incrementally mixing flour until smooth without any visible bumps.
  3. Mix in chocolate chips (or your favorite alternative/additional mix-ins) until equally distributed.

Yes, it’s that simple. A mix, a stir and another mix and now you have cookie dough to eat to your heart’s content — spoon recommended but not required — without the fear of those pesky pathogens!