The Student News Site of Columbia Heights High School

The Heights Herald

The Heights Herald

The Heights Herald

2023-2024 NFL season kicks off with a bang

Cincinnati+Bengals+wide+receiver+Jamarr+Chase+is+one+to+watch+this+2023-24+NFL+season.+
Courtesy of the NFL
Cincinnati Bengals’ wide receiver Ja’marr Chase is one to watch this 2023-24 NFL season.

Is Patrick Mahomes going to repeat as the Most Valuable Player (MVP) like Aaron Rodgers did? Can Brian Daboll prove that last year wasn’t just a fluke? Can Nick Bosa retain the same level of production? And will Justin Jefferson break the receiving record this year? These are just some of the many questions that NFL fans are wondering about for the 2023-2024 season.

Last year, it was pretty obvious that Patrick Mahomes was going to win MVP, but this year could very well be another unanimous decision for the Baltimore Ravens’ quarterback Lamar Jackson winning MVP, just like he did in 2019. Lamar Jackson comes into this season with a new and improved offense, as well as a new offensive coordinator (Todd Munken) who plays to his strengths. Lamar has remained in the MVP talks almost every year just due to his rushing upside and the fact that he has never had a season under 600 rushing yards. 

As for the NFL Offensive Player of the Year, I’m going with Ja’marr Chase of the Cincinnati Bengals. Chase is such an explosive receiver and is paired with one of the best quarterbacks in the league — he should go crazy. Last year, he was on pace for a career best in receiving yards and targets. He’s only 23 as well, so this should be one of his best years.

The Defensive Player of the Year voting was really close for the 2022-23 season, but this year should be unanimous. I have Micah Parsons of the Cowboys winning this distinction as everything is set up for him to have a career year. Dan Quinn is staying in Dallas for another year, the front office has added many defensive pieces, Parsons has a good team around him, and he is going into his prime years.

Last year’s Comeback Player of the Year didn’t have an injury but got a resurgence in his career, and I think this year it’s going to be the same. I have Deshaun Watson winning the award this year. He got the best offensive line and the best weapons in his career. Stefanski and the Browns front offense added the young Elijah Moore, having the potential to unlock his true ability, which the Jets couldn’t do for the wide receiver the past two seasons. Last year, Watson only played six games due to a suspension, but now he has a whole season to show out.

Brian Daboll of the New York Giants definitely deserved the Coach of the Year award last year but for this upcoming season, I feel like Mike McDaniels of the Miami Dolphins is going to take that award. The Dolphins are primed to make a big step this year with new pieces like All-Pro Corner Jalen Ramsey and defensive coordinator Vic Fangio. These moves were all influenced by Mike Mcdaniels who isn’t afraid to go all in to win.

Sauce Gardner notably made All-Pro as a rookie last year, which led to him earning the Defensive Rookie of the Year award. This year, I see the third overall pick of the season’s draft, Will Anderson Jr. of the Houston Texans, winning Defensive Rookie of the Year easily. Dominating in college at Alabama, Anderson brings his size and athleticism and has a massive impact on that struggling Texans’ defense. 

Garrett Wilson won the Offensive Rookie of the Year award despite having one of the less productive seasons in 2022-23. My pick for this year’s recipient of the award is the number eight overall pick from Texas, Bijan Robinson. He’s one of the most explosive prospects we’ve seen since Saquon Barkley, so fans can expect him to have a huge season for the Atlanta Falcons.

Based on these promising players and more, the 2023-2024 NFL season will likely be one of the best seasons in recent memory. Last year, teams were still coming off the 2021-22 season, which was still heavilly affected by COVID-19, but I think the rust should wear off by now. A lot of new and exciting rookies are in the league, so NFL viewers can expect the rookies to perform. Last year sill featured Tom Brady, but now that he retired, a lot of the new faces of the NFL like Mahomes, Jackson, Hurts, and Burrow should take over the league. This could even be the best season of the decade.