Updates made to CHHS Main Gym thanks in large part to local donation

CHHS+shows+off+its+new+gym+floor+and+bleachers%2C+along+with+fresh+doors+and+paint.++

Safiya Ahmed

CHHS shows off its new gym floor and bleachers, along with fresh doors and paint.

The long-awaited renovation of the CHHS gym has finally come. 

The Main Gym is a place full of ambiance and cheer. Located just across the Main Office at the entrance of CHHS, it brings delight especially during Winter Sports due to their need for an indoor space. The renovation started just before the end of the 2021-2022 school year and was finally finished in October.  The new gym renovation included brand new bleachers and lighting, in addition to a completely repainted floor and CH logo for the Tri-Metro Conference. 

On Friday, October 14, 2022, a grand reopening took place for the CHHS Main Gym, student-athletes Kennedi Dudley and Lilah Bergan joined principal Todd Wynne, superintendent Zena Stenvik, CHPS School Board Vice-Chair Lorien Mueller and Jared Severson from the Columbia Heights Athletic Boosters to cut the ribbon for the new gym. 

Despite the renovation being a great thing for the school, it had some inconveniences, like the strong smell in the hallways and some gym classes having difficulties deciding where the classes were going to take place due to the fact that the gym was closed when the weather was bad outside. 

While the total cost of the gym was not disclosed to The Heights Herald, $85K was donated by the Columbia Heights Athletic Boosters, a local organization made up of community members and parents, and it’s reported that the school district contributed a large portion as well. 

“The Columbia Heights Boosters have been active in supporting the youth of Columbia Heights since 1955,” Boosters member Chris Schoenbauer said. “When [Columbia Heights] High School leadership came to us with a request to provide funds to help with the cost of a much-needed gym floor, we were happy to help.” 

Many staff and students show appreciation for the new renovations; they advocate that the gym renovation is a fresh start and a great way to kick off winter sports that are approaching. 

I’m really excited for our students and community to use the new/updated space for years to come,” CHHS Athletic Director Jake Henderson said. “This is a space for our P.E. classes, our high school in general, our athletic teams and our Heights community.”

Winter sport student-athletes recognize the importance of a new gym and show appreciation for the new gym. 

“I really like the new gym floor, seeing how much it changed and the new bleachers get me excited for my senior year basketball season,” CHHS senior basketball captain Lilah Bergan said. “The renovation is a really good thing for basketball.” 

Custodians were a big part of the process of renovation, their hard work and dedication helped the Gym get done quickly and effectively. 

The new gym is a big change and a step to a new beginning and a great winter sports season.