Columbia Heights school board elects new chair

Members of the School board including Naty Severson (top left).

CHPS Communications Department

Everyone throws around the words “the school board” in a typical conversation about a school district, but have you ever stopped to think about what the school board is exactly, who’s on it and what they do to benefit our schools in Columbia Heights?

First off, let’s look into what a school board is and what they do. With some of the earliest school boards appearing in 1895 and the movement for nationwide boards becoming popular in 1913, a school board is generally identified as a group of people elected by a district or school’s community to make changes across the district that benefit the schools in the area. These can range from hiring a superintendent to adding new curricula in the district, to engaging parents in the community and planning for the long-term.

There are currently six members on the Columbia Heights school board, including newly appointed chair Naty Severson, who entered the board on January 26, 2016 as part of a special election to fill one of two vacant spots. Severson has been an active member of the Columbia Heights community for the past few years as well as living in the district for the past 14 years, and her children attend schools in the district. She is joined by the five other board members: Vice-Chair Lorien Mueller, Clerk Molly Lewis, Treasurer Laura Palmer, and Directors Hala Asamarai and John Larkin. 

All six members hold meetings twice a month alongside Superintendent Kathy Kelly, where they discuss community events that they have attended in between meetings, as well as new policies to consider for approval. Just recently, at their February 11 meeting, they approved the 2020-2021 school year calendar and defined responsibilities assigned to school board members that are also school liaisons. The board also approved the recommendation for closing open enrollment for grade 10 due to over-enrollment.

“Our decisions are a collaboration of six members reaching a consensus,” said school board Director John Larkin. “However, I personally want parents and students to know that as a school board member, the decisions I make are based on what I believe is in the best interest of the students and the district as a whole.”

Larkin also said that currently, aside from agenda items related to distance learning, the school board is working on two changes within the district. Those changes would focus on increasing transparency and community involvement at the board level. As a result, a sub-committee has been created to look at and suggest ideas on how the board can make themselves more visible in the community.

The school board makes many important decisions which can impact the environment and future of students and community members within Columbia Heights.  They keep the community updated and involved in the changes that have come to Columbia Heights, as well as provide information for possible future decisions or changes. Together, the school board and its members work to ensure a safe, enjoyable, and successful educational environment for students, staff, and the Columbia Heights community.