Hidden discoveries await in CHHS underrated electives courses

An Introduction
An Introduction

Here at Columbia Heights High School (CHHS), we have a lot of elective classes, including numerous courses that tend to be underrated and get overlooked. Some of our lesser-known courses spotlighted here offer students a chance to learn a set of unique skills and general knowledge in very specific areas. These CHHS electives are not that much different than the more popular ones offered, but they deserve some more love. Don’t let these hidden gems go unnoticed! Give them the attention they deserve and discover your true potential.

Moreover, Hylanders understand that college readiness is a top priority at CHHS. That’s why, in addition to our elective courses, we also offer several AP and ARCC classes that can count towards both elective, core and college credits. These include AP U.S. Government and AP Comparative Government (both taught by Mr. Dan Tschida), AP Physics (taught by Mr. Marques Fondren first semester and Ms. Aimee Candella second semester), AP Calculus (taught by Mr. Dan Ronchak), AP Art (taught by Ms. Sarah Honeywell), AP Spanish (taught by Mr. Marc Jerue first semester and Mr. Julio Batres second semester), ARCC Environmental Science (taught by Candella) and ARCC Arts Appreciation (taught by Honeywell). These courses offer more than their non-AP/ARCC counterparts, as students can earn college credits while still in high school and save time and money in the long run. 

Try one of these classes (or any of the several others offered) by talking to your dean during class registration for the 2024-25 school year later this spring. If you’re interested in pursuing one of these subjects as a career, to explore new potential interests, challenge yourself or simply experience the endless possibilities that Columbia Heights High School has to offer!

Media Arts (taught by Ms. Sarah Honeywell)

“Media arts is the most harmonious marriage between traditional artful painting and technique-driven geekery. Either they are a creative art student or a confident tech commander. When they complete this Media Arts course, they usually leave feeling confident in both arenas.” – Ms. Sarah Honeywell

New Moves (taught by Ms. Carol Peterka)
New Moves (taught by Ms. Carol Peterka)

“New Moves is a very nice class because it takes the whole competitive aspect out of gym. Sometimes boys can make gym really uncomfortable, so it’s nice to have a class where I don’t feel stressed out.” – Kendra Deitering (10)

Journalism (taught by Chris Polley)
Journalism (taught by Chris Polley)

“Journalism is a great elective because of how many different things we do in the class. Most would think you only write stories but we also take pictures, create illustrations, make podcasts and many other things. It’s great for pursuing any interest that you might have.” –
Istabraq Sheikh (11)

American-Indian Studies (taught by Ms. Kristen Sinicariello)

“American Indian Studies is all place-based. It is a class where we learn about the land and the original people of Minnesota. It’s a fun class where we cook, garden and do hands-on projects. We also usually go on a field trip each semester to visit sacred sites around the cities.” – Ms. Kristen Sinicariello

Anatomy and Physiology (taught by Ms. Melanie Kennedy)

“By taking Anatomy and Physiology, you will gain in-depth knowledge of the human body, which is especially useful if you are considering a health care career. Your interest in science as well as your commitment to academics and your willingness to tackle complex subjects will be key.” – Ms. Melanie Kennedy

World Music (taught by Mr. Nicholas Hollermann)

“World Music is a course that explores music that is often left out of ‘traditional’ music education curriculums. It’s an interactive course where students play instruments, watch performances and listen to music from around the world.” – Mr. Nicholas Hollermann

(Picasa)
Home Improvement (taught by Mr. Matt Townsend)

“Home Improvement is an extremely valuable class, and it teaches you many lessons about how houses work! Knowing how the structure of a house looks, and knowing how you can fix issues that come up in your home can save you a lot of time and money. It’s a very fun class and helps you to learn not only how to build a house, but also how to do it safely.” – Alice Sabatke (9)

Introduction to Education (taught by Ms. Peterka first semester and Mr. Zachary Johnson second semester)

“Taking Intro to Education is an excellent opportunity for any students who have an interest in education. There’s a national shortage of teachers and it’s more important than ever to recruit talented young people into the field of education. In addition to getting six college credits over the course of the year, you actually get to spend time in a classroom helping out and seeing what the job of a teacher is like.” – Mr. Zachary Johnson

TV/Media Broadcasting (taught by Chris Polley and Mr. Matt Townsend)

“TV/Media is a fun class because you get to explore things that you may have never actually known about before, like how to read a teleprompter and edit video like news professionals. You also get to know people and overall it’s a fun experience.” – Isabel Hernandez Monroy (12)