Turkish student adjusts to American life and school

America in new eyes.

Imagine leaving your family, friends, school, home and everything you’ve ever known from since the day you were born. This is the reality 15-year-old foreign exchange student Elcin Ay is living. Ay made the choice to leave her home in Antalya, Turkey for one school year to experience life somewhere in the United States, and it just so happens she is attending our very own Columbia Heights High School.

Ay is like any other sophomore girl; she loves to be with her friends and family, and she has interests such as theater, acting and writing poetry. What makes her stand out, especially here at CHHS, is her decision to apply to the Exchange Student Program. She wanted to become a more emotionally strong and independent person by having to somewhat fend for herself. 

When greeted by Ay, students and staff alike are presented with smiles and warm words. No matter who someone is or what they look like, she exudes kindness, but that kindness is not always reciprocated.

“When I got accepted to the program, I thought I would make friends quickly and people would approach me,” Ay said. “But that hasn’t been the case. It has been kind of difficult to make friends.” 

The city of Antalya, where Ay is from, sits on the southern coast of Turkey right on the Mediterranean Sea. Ay loves her city’s beautiful beaches and warm weather.

The school system in Turkey is very different from here in Minnesota, according to Ay. Students do not have opportunities to have “fun” electives, and most of the classes are tough core classes. The school days are also longer than ours, running from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., but with 40 minute classes and longer breaks of days off in between. 

Ay did not get to choose the state she was going to be sent to; she was randomly placed in Minnesota. When arriving to the States, she was faced with  a huge culture shock.

“It’s hard to point out what’s so different about Americans,” Ay (10) said. “Just in the way people talk here, with the slang and the different activities they engage in.”

Ay likes our school system and how CHHS students are able to pick performing arts courses. One of her favorite classes is Musical Theater with Mr. Tom Conry because she loves all things theater. She loves going to plays in Turkey and enjoys singing and acting at her school. This year at Heights, she auditioned and got a role in the fall play!

There are some things, however, that she’s not too fond of about Minnesota. The food isn’t to her taste and she is not a fan of cold weather and snow. 

“It is warm most of the year in Antalya,” Ay (10) said. “So I’m pretty nervous for the winter months ahead.” 

Ay is an amiable, warm, friendly and inspiring addition to CHHS. She is a great friend to have and always keeps a smile on her face. So if you ever see her in class, in the halls or around Columbia Heights, make sure to give her a warm welcome!