The Student News Site of Columbia Heights High School

The Heights Herald

The Heights Herald

The Heights Herald

Spice up your dinner with this affordable enchilada recipe

These+warm+and+tasty+enchiladas+will+show+you+what+Mexican-American+happiness+truly+is%21+
Stephanie Romero
These warm and tasty enchiladas will show you what Mexican-American happiness truly is!

Don’t you ever feel like you don’t know what to cook at home for dinner? How about that urge to just go out for tacos or pizza when your paycheck just won’t allow it? Well, here’s a simple, affordable recipe that brings the deliciousness of a local authentic Mexican or Latin American restaurant to your kitchen table. Enchilada is a really famous dish for Mexican people, and every country has their own version of the recipe provided below, but most home cooks make the dish with store-bought American-made tortillas and canned enchilada sauce. You can make them even tastier and fresher, though, for yourself or with your family or friends with just a few suggested alterations! Let’s get started before you start watering at the mouth: 

Ingredients and supplies:

• 1 shaker of Caldo con sabor de pollo (Granulated chicken bouillon) 
  • One 24 oz. package of La Morenita queso fresco 
  • Oregano (1/2) Tablespoon 
  • 1 whole onion White 
  • 3 Fresh tomatoes 
  • Oil for cooking
  •  6 Tortillas  (it can be any brand, but a Mexican brand is highly recommended like La Banderita ) 

Directions:

1. Put three tomatoes, ½ of an onion, oregano, ½ of a cup of water, and caldo con sabor de pollo into a blender. Blend until it becomes a sauce.
  2.  Measure ½ of a cup of cooking oil. 
  3. Preheat a frying pan with the oil and wait about 30 -35 seconds until it’s ready.
  4. Pour your sauce into the frying pan. Let it cook for about 15 seconds — you’ll know it’s ready when you see it boiling. Use a cheese grater to grate the La Morenita queso fresco.
  5. Dice the other ½ of your onion.
  6. Warm a tortilla in a microwave for 30-45 seconds.
  7. Add the tortilla to the frying pan with the sauce. 
  8. Flip the tortilla so you have sauce covering both sides.
  9. Place the tortilla on a plate where you have grated the La Morenita queso fresco and put some on top of the tortilla.
  10. Repeat directions 8-10 and stack/layer depending on how many enchiladas you want to eat.
  11. Add sour cream on the top of the enchiladas. 

There you go! Now you know how to make enchiladas, and you have some delicious enchiladas to reward yourself. You can share this recipe with anybody who wants to have something different for dinner compared to the usual American fare or taco night. As soon as you’re done digging in, you will badly want to make another order for yourself to enjoy. For now, just enjoy the robust flavor of the warm enchiladas on your tastebuds.