The Student News Site of Columbia Heights High School

The Heights Herald

The Heights Herald

The Heights Herald

Indie-country aesthetic popularized by beloved alt-pop star

Mya Vutthikrai
These items are often associated with the offbeat (but with mass appeal) singer-songwriter Lana Del Rey.

Lana Del Rey is an immensely talented singer/songwriter whose music has taken the world by storm with albums such as “Born to Die”, “Ultraviolence” and her highly anticipated upcoming release, “Lasso”, out later this year. Her music is inspiring a new fashion aesthetic that has been embraced by fans all over the world, commonly described as a unique blend of both grunge and softcore, feminine styles that have become the hallmarks of her music. 

The coquette aesthetic is the first creation stemming from the growth of Lana Del Rey’s music. It embodies traditional ideals of femininity with its Victorian Regency era features like soft, glittery makeup, floral/lace tops, doll dresses, tights, ruffles, bows, ribbons and pastel colors. Tying everything together with a ribbon or bow creates the perfect look. This particular detail of the coquette style highlights some of the main components of the “Lana Del Rey” aesthetic, as well as some core-specific Lana Del Rey musical vibes such as the famous cherry red color, “Americana” notes and flower crowns. 

It’s not just tied to the artist’s global sensation, either — the aesthetic has become an internationally recognized fashion statement. It exudes a daunting, flushed-out look through its fashion and overall atmosphere, providing a unique ability to set a person apart from others.

As a fan of Lana Del Rey, I love the vintage-inspired look and dreamy, nostalgic atmosphere that captures a sense of beauty and romance,” Mersony Hester (11) said.

However, the aesthetic is not without setbacks and extreme backlash. The Lana Del Rey style carries a hyper fixation that seems to be associated with the aesthetic and artist. It seems to create an emphasis on making people think that they have to act in a certain way, such as feigning innocence and acting cutesy, which can be viewed negatively by the masses. Another criticism that this aesthetic often elicits is the glorification of smoking and cigarettes.

As someone who doesn’t listen to her music nor find any interest in the aesthetic, I find it visibly nice but it is overly romanticized just so it can become a new trend,” Lia Quite (11) said.

Despite this, the Lana Del Rey style has significantly contributed to creating other musical aesthetics featuring several other artists. These singers have developed their sense of artistic expression within their fanbase, inspired by the Lana Del Rey aesthetic. It has become a popular trend that has inspired multi-fandoms of the music industry to establish their fashion sensations and trends. These range from popular artists such as Taylor Swift and Olivia Rodrigo to slightly more “indie” but nevertheless best-selling acts like Gracie Abrams, Phoebe Bridgers and Beabadoobee. 

It’s safe to say that the Lana Del Rey sensation has become a cultural phenomenon in fashion!  A fashion statement that has transcended borders and become a symbol of self-expression for millions of fans around the world, the Lana Del Rey aesthetic is not limited to fashion and music but has also influenced other aspects such as makeup and hairstyles, many of which are showcased in tutorials by influencers on social media, detailing how exactly to replicate the music icon’s appearance. Fans of the aesthetic have developed their unique twists and alterations on the style too, sometimes incorporating features from the aesthetic to create their unique looks. 

The Lana Del Rey aesthetic has become so popular that it has even been used in movies, TV shows and advertisements, such as the famous SKIMS campaign featuring Kim Kardashian and Kylie Jenner, among others. This look has also become iconic in and of itself since it has influenced fashion, music, makeup, hairstyling and much more. It has become a symbol of self-expression that has transcended borders and has become a global sensation. 

And with the Jack Antonoff-produced new album just a few months away, it will likely continue to inspire and influence future generations of artists and fans alike.