The Student News Site of Columbia Heights High School

The Heights Herald

The Heights Herald

The Heights Herald

Learn some history with this tasty Kifto recipe

Try a new dish while simultaneously learning some Ethiopian history about this traditional recipe!
Tenagnework Agedie

Kitfo is a traditional Ethiopian dish made with raw, minced beef*. The name “Kitfo” comes from the Amharic language, one of the main languages spoken in Ethiopia. “Kitfo” is believed to have come from the verb “kotefa,” meaning “chopped finely” in Amharic. This reflects the way the beef is finely minced, often served alongside injera (spongy flatbread commonly served with various Ethiopian dishes) or ayib (fresh, homemade Ethiopian cheese). 

This dish is said to have originated among the Gurage tribe in the central region of Ethiopia. Eating raw meat in Ethiopia first began during the 16th century at the time of the Abyssinian-Adal War. Ethiopian soldiers would not cook their meat before eating so as to avoid gathering the attention of the opposing side (Somali Ajuuran Empire, who recognized the Adals as Sultans of Somalia) during battle. This recipe is a staple in Ethiopian culture and is shared during special occasions among family and close friends. It’s traditionally eaten at the end of the 55 days of Orthodox Christian fasting season for Easter Sunday but can also be eaten throughout the whole year. Kitfo is a dish that bonds people together and honors Ethiopian family traditions. 

*Make sure all meat is purchased from an Ethiopian market such as Shabelle Ethiopian Grocery for safe results. 

Ingredients: 

• Minced beef
  • Mitmita* (Ethiopian spice blend)
  • Kibbeh* (traditional Ethiopian butter)
  • Bishop seeds
  • Black cardamom 
  • Cumin
  • Fenugreek*
  • Salt 

*Can be found in Ethiopian markets such as Shabelle Ethiopian Grocery and Restaurant 

Instructions:

1. Cut the meat into fine pieces removing any fat.
  2. Put meat into a food processor until minced. 
  3. Mix minced beef with mitmita, ground bishop seeds, cumin, black cardamom, fenugreek and salt to taste in a pre-heated pan.
  4. Continue mixing on low heat for about 2-5 minutes or until meat is cooked or warmed to your preference.
  5. Slowly add in kibbeh while mixing.
  6. Keep mixing until the kibbeh is melted.
  7. Serve with either injera or alongside ayib.

Often enjoyed during festive occasions, family gatherings and cultural celebrations, Kitfo holds a special place in Ethiopian culinary traditions.  Whether you prefer Kitfo raw or well-done, each bite is a testament to the rich and vibrant history of my heritage — and many other Hylanders whose families come from this proud country.