The Student News Site of Columbia Heights High School

The Heights Herald

The Heights Herald

The Heights Herald

Combination of Mochi Dough and Bober Tea delights, satisfies

Osob Mohammud
The perfect duo of a churro mochi donut with a tasty milk tea boba on the side is just what’s needed to feed your sweet tooth, Osob Mohammud suggests.

Mochi is a rice flour pastry that rose to popularity in Japan dating all the way back to the sixth century. A form of cuisine produced from leavened fried dough, a doughnut or donut is a common snack in many nations around the world, prepared in various ways. Together, they make up the tasty treat known as the mochi donut.

Commonly paired with a mochi donut is boba, or milk tea, a beverage that originated in ancient Asia and is made by combining black tea with milk and sweeteners such as sugar or condensed milk. It is often served in its trendy, modern iterations with toppings or mix-ins like tapioca pearls or jelly. 

Nestled in the heart of Dinkytown on the University of Minnesota—Twin Cities campus, the combined Mochi Dough + Bober Tea is your one-stop shop for both of these delectable treats.

Since rice flour is used in place of yeast for these signature donuts, giving the finished product an airy, chewy texture with a crispy outside, the Tokyo take on an American classic is both one-of-a-kind and delightful.

Their unique bubbled ring shape allows you to eat one bit at a time without making a mess. Additionally, unlike your Midwest kruller or fritter, there is a subtle hint of sweetness to many of the options at Mochi Dough that perfectly complements the light and fluffy interior. Such as taro, black sesame, funnel cake, and churro. Taro is a Tropical Southeast Asian plant that yields a starchy root vegetable with a brown outer skin and white flesh with purple flecks which is made into a glazed mochi donut another option is black sesame which is also made into a glaze that the donut is dipped into. 

“Mochi donuts are like little bites of chewy, sweet perfection,” Amina Ibrahim (11) said. “They combine the airy and crunchy with a bit of softness.”

Of course, like Dunkin’ Donuts is known just as much for its coffee as they are for its pastries, Bober Tea, which is conveniently located right next door, offers plenty of choices for washing down your carbs with some similarly enjoyable and tastebud-ready options. I tried the milk tea boba with pearls, which was delicious but not sweet enough due to my lack of sugar. Some of my favorite drinks were also available, including Okumidori Matcha Latte, Thai Tea Latte, and Supreme Pink Pear Green Tea. Together with the donut from Mochi Dough, you can enjoy a switch between mochi and boba at the same time. 

“I also like the boba drinks — it was an excellent combo,” Munira Ali (11) said.  

The decor is cute and fun, with vibrant colors and playful designs that add to the overall charming and memorable dining experience that invites the customer to linger and chat with friends rather than the typical basic order counter and to-go box of a local bakery or coffee shop.

Mochi donuts are really tasty and gaining popularity outside of the dessert menu at Japanese dine-in restaurants due to their distinct texture and sweet flavor and the overall convenience of grabbing a donut on the go. The only drawback to this delectable snack is that it is a little pricey.

Overall, the combination of mochi donuts and boba in one place was convenient and smile-inducing. Additionally, the unforgettable atmosphere of the place begs for repeat visits. Although I would have preferred a sweeter milk tea, it didn’t overshadow my positive impression of the delicious Churro donut and the opportunity to customize my own drink.