CHHS takes home multiple Scholastic Art + Writing Awards

Award-winning photography from Nevaeh Wakulenko Wright (10).

“I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the water to create many ripples.” When Mother Teresa uttered these words, she may not have been explicitly talking about art and writing, but the famous quote still applies. Art comes in many forms, whether it be abstract shapes on blank canvas, a song about love or in the form of an exquisitely prepared meal, and in nearly every instance, the final product holds some sort of hidden value or meaning.

The Scholastic Art and Writing Awards has yet again been held by the Alliance for Young Artists & Writers. This highly prestigious national program features many categories in art and writing such as poetry, short stories, digital art, ceramic art and more. Students in grades 7-12 may participate in the annual competition by submitting their best works of the year, which will then be evaluated and hopefully selected for recognition. The program hopes to display the creativity, originality, and visions of these young artists and writers, and does so by handing out regional, national and even scholarship awards. The Gold Key, Silver Key, Gold Medal and Honorable Mention are just some examples of the rewards.

In a world as huge as ours, having more talented artists and writers never hurts. Art and writing is a great way to express a strong belief, idea or message, especially considering our world today is a collection of various ideas, stories and cultures. Eligible students should take advantage in future years, as it allows one to voice their ideas, opinions and perspective, as well as shedding light on new opportunities that one may have not come across otherwise. Out of the dozens and dozens of entries submitted across the state, a lucky handful of Heights students received recognition and awards in both the writing and art categories. 

Writing is definitely a critical skill that will be used throughout all aspects of an individual’s life, and those who entered pieces into the writing section certainly proved it. Two students at Heights received multiple silver keys as well as honorable mentions for their submitted work, which spanned from journalism to literary essays. The winners, who are seniors at Heights, are especially enthusiastic about being recognized. 

“I was really excited to receive a Scholastic Writing Award because I worked really hard on my pieces,” Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Heights Herald and senior Peter Heryla said. “I’m proud that I’m able to write well in a variety of styles, including journalism and classic essay writing.”

The other writing award recipient, Molly Wilson (12), is also an editor for the Heights Herald. 

“It is honestly just really nice to get recognized for my work,” News Editor Wilson said. “I put so much effort and time into everything I write and to have someone who doesn’t know my name or my story tell me I am doing well. I’m honored.” 

As there were only two participants last year to submit works for the writing section, English teachers definitely recommend entering the program, especially one who has taught the winners previously.

It’s a great opportunity,” AP Lit and ARCC Short Stories teacher Laurel Osterkamp said. “Students can use their writing skills to earn scholarships and to make their voice heard. A lot of students have unique stories and perspectives to share, and the Scholastic Awards are an excellent way to do that.”

Just as writing is important, so is art, as a world without art would be plain and lifeless. Luckly, there are students here at Heights that can and are willing to share their culture and experiences through art. In the art section, of the categories from digital art, drawing and illustration, mixed media and photography, five students received honorable mentions, two received silver keys, and one received a gold key. One of the winners, a junior at Heights, is astonished for having won an award for her artwork, and also encourages other students to submit work in future years . 

“I think students should participate because it’s a good way to show how much potential you have by sharing to others how you view the world in your artwork,” Carolina Molina (11) said. “It’s good because you can put it on your college resume and also feel good that you’ve accomplished something.”

Art teachers alike also encourage students to join in on the action. 

“[Students should participate because] I think students get more real world experience, similar to the professional world through the act of putting together a portfolio,” AP Studio Arts teacher Hannah Starke said.

With encouragement from her teacher, one student surpassed expectations and rose to the top, winning a Gold Medal award.

I honestly was not expecting to win, my teacher just asked me if I would enter some of my photos so I just did it,” Nevaeh Wakulenko Wright (10) said. “It felt good to finally get recognized, I’ve been doing all types of art for a very long time and getting this award makes me feel really good about my work.”

Congratulations to all the 2020 winners at Heights! As is apparent, writing and arts go a long way and can kickstart a young writer or artist’s future. The Scholastic Arts and Writing Awards will be open for 2021 and submissions can be sent in starting September 1 of 2020, and the more that apply, the more likely Columbia Heights High School is to be represented, and it’s never too early to start putting that pen to paper or brush to canvas.