Dawn Hoium

Kelly at the 2018 CHPS staff convocation in the CHHS PAC.

Kelly announces retirement

January 27, 2020

“I’ve always said ‘We’re not just a community of learners. We’re a family.’ And I’m really going to miss that.”

At a school board meeting on December 17, 2019, it was announced that the Columbia Heights Public Schools Board of Education had accepted the retirement of Superintendent Kathy L. Kelly. Kelly’s tenure as Superintendent will formally end on June 30, 2020.

It has been quite a ride for Kelly, who has been working in public education for 47 years. First employed in the White Bear Lake Area school district, she worked as a teacher for 15 years before becoming a peer coach for her fellow educators. Kelly eventually became a staff development and curriculum coordinator.

“I had been [at White Bear Lake] for about 25 years, and I wasn’t really thinking of ever leaving,” Kelly said. 

CHPS then reached out to Kelly, where she had previously done staff development trainings. 

“I looked at the community, and I thought ‘Oh, this community is so great!’ It was the dream job,” Kelly said.

In 1998, Kelly successfully interviewed for a position as a curriculum coordinator. She was promoted to the position of assistant superintendent before becoming superintendent in 2007.

Kelly has occupied the position for 13 years; through her leadership, the district has grown both in population and in recognition. But at year one, Kelly inherited a struggling district that was plagued by recent budget cuts and lacked connection to the surrounding community. 

“We’d have a tendency to cut [in areas] like the band program. Those are very hard things to get back,” Kelly said. “[CHPS] needed to teach the whole child, keeping heads in the academics and heart in the arts.”

Right away, Kelly made goals to focus on student needs, managing finances and rebuilding bonds. Additionally, Kelly looked to begin developing programming that would keep CHPS academically strong and put students’ hearts in the arts. With these objectives in mind, Kelly spearheaded numerous construction projects, one of the first being the Hylander Center. The two-gymnasium complex was a cumulative project between CHPS and the city of Columbia Heights, of which Kelly is particularly proud.

“It was great because it brought everyone around the table on a common project since the two entities—the city and the school district—could not have afforded to build it on their own,” Kelly said.

“When I look at the piece of artwork, ‘Synergy’, [outside the high school pool entrance], it reminds me in a very artistic way of how collaborative we have to be, with the city, community and, most of all, with our students.”

Energized by the “Hearts in the Arts” mantra, Kelly also devoted a large amount of time to developing the district’s band programming. CHPS received two grants from non-profit organizations: a $30,000 grant from the VH1 Save the Music Foundation in 2009 and a $35,000 grant from the Country Music Association Foundation (CMAF) earlier this year. All five schools have thrived under these grants. Columbia Academy’s program was recently named the district’s program of distinction, while the CHHS program is expecting to use their new band room in the spring.

“It took a village to keep the arts alive,” Kelly said. “I was very happy to be involved with [the] VH1 Save the Music Foundation, the CMAF and whatever grants we could get in between to keep both the staff and the program in the life of the students.” 

Kelly is also satisfied with the many academic opportunities that have been developed under her watchful eye. Kelly says she will look back fondly on the success of the Advanced Placement program. In 2016, CHHS was placed on the AP Honor Roll, and CHPS was named AP Small District of the Year. Through Kelly, the school district is not only affiliated with the College Board, they are voting members. 

“When I came to the district, we had one math class,”  Kelly said. “Now, when you add up all the AP classes that we have, we really give students the opportunity to take AP classes, to earn credits and to have that leg up.”

The district has also established programs that offer various ways for students to get ahead in their post-secondary education. Whether it be a partnership with Anoka-Ramsey Community College or the development of an AA degree program, Kelly is happy to see students pursuing high-level academics while reducing the crushing debt of a college education.

“We have to be sure that when we say, ‘Our mission is worlds of opportunity for each and every learner,’ there’s something here for everyone,” Kelly said.

One of Kelly’s favorite places in the district is Blooming Heights, the edible community garden behind the Family Center. Several ENCORE programs have been created that get students involved with the space. The garden, with its own curriculum, has been a mainstay at Columbia Heights for ten years; it will be receiving an award in the spring.

“My office used to be upstairs, and I would look down at this blank sheet of grass and think about what a wonderful spot it would be for kids to enjoy,” Kelly said. “When I watch all of the elementary children come out and work in the garden, I remember—literally—when the seeds were planted.” 

Kelly will be the first to admit, however, that none of her contributions to the district would have been successful without the help of a strong staff at the district center and school. 

She has worked most closely with her executive assistant, Dawn Hoium. When Kelly retires in July, Hoium will have worked with her for 22 years. 

“Kathy has always put the kids first. It’s all that easy,” Hoium said. “I see her in meetings, where everyone is talking about this and that, and she’ll say ‘what’s best for our students?’ She brings everyone back into focus.”

Hired in the district the same year Kelly was, Hoium has assisted Kelly throughout her time as a coordinator, director and eventually superintendent of CHPS. She has learned “tons” from Kelly over the years.

“She’s such a leader, and she leads by example,” Hoium said. “It’s done well for me because I’ve gone into my professional group and they’re like, ‘Oh my gosh, you do this?’ and I’m like ‘My boss does this every day!’”

Besides Hoium, numerous district and community members praise Kelly for her leadership, love for the schools and passion for education. In a letter to families, staff and community members of CHPS, former school board chair John Larkin commended Kelly’s “energy, hard work and commitment,” as well as her “ability to attract, develop, and retain high quality administration and employees.” Additionally, CHHS Principal Mr. Dan Wrobleski called Kelly “influential” and applauded her love for the fine arts.

“She coined the phrase ‘Our hearts are in the arts’, and I think that really shows her passion and what she’s done for the district,” Wrobleski said.

Kelly says she will miss seeing students engage in new and unique learning opportunities like the New York City Seminar because it pushes them out of their comfort zones and gives them real-world experiences.

“If you put the students first, and you keep asking, ‘What’s in the best interest of students?’, it will be your true north,” Kelly said. “Most of the students feel like they don’t even know the superintendent, [but] I’m driving into work thinking about them everyday.” 

After being involved in education for just under 50 years, it is fitting that Kelly learned many things along the way. As far as a big takeaway, Kelly will be quick to tell everyone at CHPS that Columbia Heights’s community of learnersstudents, faculty and community membersis what drove her all these years.

“My job is not work to me,” Kelly said. I have the best gig in the world, and have since I became a teacher. I love working in education.” 

“What I love about this district is that we are all Hylanders, and we have Heights pride. You develop that in partnership with your community, and I think of the great people in the community that I’m [really going to] miss, that really pull together and make us a beautiful, learning community.”

The Heights Herald • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in