The Heights Herald

Scholastic Art Awards

Kate Rockwell, Photographer

"Dew", Photography by Kira Greenfield (12) Gold Key

The tension athletes experience on the court during state competition is tremendous, and Heights artists experience the same nail-biting nerves waiting to receive scholastic awards.

Established in 1923, the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards is the longest running and most prestigious program which creates competitive opportunities for 7th to 12th grade artists. This year, over 300,000 pieces of artwork and writing were submitted to the contest. The Alliance for Young Artists & Writers annually awards close to $300,000 in scholarships to the top winners. Gold Key winners then have the chance to win National Gold and Silver Medals. Recipients are recognized in a national ceremony at Carnegie Hall in New York City on February 17.

“The Scholastic Art Awards are geared more towards the presentation and the final look of a piece of art rather than the effort that was put into creating it. We had many beginners submit this year and the students who won most definitely deserved it, yet I believe some stellar submissions were overlooked,” Photography and digital arts teacher Sarah Honeywell said.

“There are three rounds of voting for the awards. Projects are projected in front of a panel of judges, if a piece receives a red card, it’s out of the contest, if it receives a green card, it advances to the next round. Honorable mentions are decided in this second round of voting when a piece is red carded,” Art teacher Dane Hodges said. “Those that move on will receive either a Gold or Silver Key. A select number of Gold Key winners are selected for the American Vision Award that will be presented at the University of Minnesota.”

Scholastic provides students with opportunities to explore creative outputs and allow them to receive recognition for their outstanding work, effort and dedication.