The Heights Herald

Blood drive breaks record

Sierra Martin, Staff Writer

Brakes squeal, metal crunches and glass shatters. There’s blood everywhere. An ambulance rushes you to a hospital. You blur in and out of consciousness as your blood pressure drops. You faintly hear, “I’ve got the blood! I’ve got the blood!” Paramedics insert an IV as red blood cells begin to flow back into your body. You will live because of a blood donor’s gift.

Twice a year, the CHHS Student Council hosts a blood drive giving students an opportunity to volunteer and donate. The first event took place on November 29.

“Each unit of blood donated has three components: Red cells, plasma and platelets. Red cells can go to somebody who’s having surgery, plasma can go to a burn victim or a premature baby and platelets are most frequently used for cancer patients. Technically, one unit of blood could help three different patients or more,” Memorial Blood Drive coordinator Ms. Tommie Hollingsworth said.

For this initial drive, the Stu Cru set an ambitious goal of 50 donors, just shy of double last year’s total.

“Our goal was 50 because we believed that the student body and staff would rise to the challenge. We wanted to make a bigger difference than we did last year. We hope to increase our goal each time we do it,” Stu Cru president Liz Brubakken (12) said.

Hollingsworth was impressed with the council’s determination and organization.

“It was a very aggressive increase, but I believed you would reach it. You have a great group of volunteers in student council,” she said. “They did a fantastic job of organizing and promoting.”

Advertising for the drive was featured on HNN. Student council representatives conducted interviews of staff who had been personally affected by, or benefited from, a blood donation. To generate interest, blood typing took place two days before the drive. In the first two days of signups, all thirty-six initial slots were filled. Co-advisor Ms. Jennifer Peterson reached out to Hollingsworth to request additional slots. By day three, the goal of 50 people was surpassed. The following day, 20 more students filled spots on the wait list.

“I donated because I knew it would be for a good cause and to help save lives,” Keon Lewis (12) said.

Student council representatives personally reached out to staff as well as their peers in order to generate more donors.

“I’ve donated blood multiple times because my blood type is O-negative, the universal donor, compatible with any blood, so it is in high demand. I donate because it’s a way I can help others. This time around was much easier and went more smoothly than my past experiences. It was super easy, and I enjoy getting to help those who need it,” Activities Manager Jake Henderson said.

Last spring’s blood drive generated 27 units. At this drive, 55 students and staff registered and 44 units were collected.

The next drive will be held in February. The Stu Cru plans to surpass the goal that was achieved in November.