The Heights Herald

Jumping into the deep end

A soccer player by choice, Peter Heryla (10) takes a breather during the swim practice.

Alex Jones

Alex Jones

Peter Heryla, Staff Writer

The girls’ swim team lives by one motto. “You think your sport is hard? Try doing it while holding your breath!”

Those words quickly became a reality when I joined the team for a day.

I can’t lie, I was very nervous. I had taken swim lessons as a kid, but I’ve never participated in competitive swimming, much less diving. I play soccer and tennis. Both sports are on land, and they both revolve around running and coordination. I soon learned swimming requires completely new levels of stamina. In soccer, if you run out of energy, teammates will step in to relieve you. In swimming, however, there are no subs. That had me worried. What if I embarrassed myself? What if the lifeguard had to save me?

It began with me literally jumping into the deep end of the pool. The first diving warm-up was a “jump-in” off the end of the board. It might sound easy, but there is a specific way to execute the jump, and it took me a while to perfect it. I didn’t actually get to dive head-first for safety reasons, so that was a little disappointing.

After diving, lap swimming began. The first thing I did was a 50-yard set, swimming freestyle 25 yards and breaststroke the other 25. It was more complicated than it sounds. We kept doing different lengths and strokes, until I couldn’t do it anymore. The other swimmers kept going, pumping arms and kicking legs like underwater machines. I don’t know how they do it.

Truth be told, I thought the experience was going to be uncomfortable, awkward and tiring. However, I felt welcomed by the team and the coaches. The environment was supportive, and everyone was focused on working hard to improve. There wasn’t anyone to substitute in for me when I struggled on my laps, but there were plenty of team members who cheered me on. It wasn’t hard to see why the girls enjoy being on this team.

The experience was so rewarding that I’ve decided to join the boys’ swim team in the winter. My biggest takeaway was that swimmers face challenges just like any other athlete. What takes their sport to a deeper level is that they do it while holding their breath.